Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Jay Gibbons Makes His Pitch to Get Back in Baseball

by Matthew Taylor

ESPN's Buster Olney offers the full text of Jay Gibbons' letter to every major league team, in which he pleads for a chance to get back into the game he loves.

Gibbons offers to donate his entire minor league salary - and a significant portion of his major league salary should he be promoted - to a charity chosen by the team that signs him. A brief excerpt of Gibbons' writing is included below. Follow the link above for the complete letter.


"Writing this letter is both painful and humiliating. It has been almost six weeks since my release from the Orioles and I am still unable to land any opportunity at a second chance to play the game that I love.

I am young, healthy and determined. I have acknowledged and apologized for the mistake that I made and writing this letter should be proof enough that I have indeed suffered for my mistake.

...

All I need is a chance -- any chance -- anywhere. I am more than willing to begin the process of proving that I can and will be a productive major league player by playing in the minor leagues."


[Image source: The Sports Truth blog. Click photo for original.]
5428735346

No comments: