Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Orioles - Pirates, Take Five

Another writer - KJ of Nothing But Balls Sports - has commented on the similarities between the Birds and the Pirates.
"Being a Pirates fan has allowed me to see this occur in Pittsburgh but I have not seen it anywhere else. While I was reading my copy of Baseball Prospectus I was taken aback when I saw similar characteristics in the Baltimore Orioles chapter of the book. Baltimore is under a similar overhaul to the Pirates understanding they will not be in contention for a few seasons. Last season, general manager Andy MacPhail took over. MacPhail is known for his time as GM for the Minnesota Twins in the early nineties when they won a World Series. He did an excellent job of trading high on Erik Bedard and Miguel Tejada. However he did fail to trade Aubrey Huff, Melvin Mora and Brian Roberts."
The topic has been something of a recurring theme on Roar from 34: Quick hits, Another Optimistic Story About a Struggling Franchise, Just Don't Compare Natty Boh to Iron City Beer, We're Not Alone, O's Fans.

No comments: