Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nery a Concern About the O's Pitching Depth

"Once I got into spring training, I realized how much depth the Orioles organization has, especially pitchers."

-Nathan Nery, Frederick Keys


Perhaps you're really interested in the minor leagues.

Or maybe you appreciate any article that refers to the Orioles' farm system as "loaded with pitching prospects."

Either way, you'll enjoy Chuck Curti's feature story on Keys pitcher Nathan Nery "In too deep: Orioles' pitching-rich system doesn't deter Nery."

Read an excerpt after the jump.



Three years into his professional career, however, the Moon Area High School graduate is proving that his game is no eyesore.

After going 7-3 with low Class A Delmarva a year ago then starting 3-0 with a 1.17 ERA there this season, Nery is 3-4 with a 4.59 ERA for high-A Frederick.

“Really, coming into this year, I felt after going 7-3 last year ... I felt like I had the opportunity to come in and go straight to high-A,” said Nery, who will turn 24 next month.

“Once I got into spring training, I realized how much depth the Orioles organization has, especially pitchers.

“We’ve been drafting a lot of pitchers.”

Nery said that only now is he beginning to reach his potential. Much of that has to do with a significant mechanical adjustment.


...

But with so many good young pitchers in the Orioles’ system, the possibility exists that Nery’s professional future lies with another organization.

Nery is at a stage in his career where he would be eligible for the Rule 5 Draft in December. If left unprotected by the Orioles, it might be a signal that, if he is to reach the majors, he’ll have to do it through another team’s system.

For his part, Nery said he’ll focus on pitching and continue to primp his game for the next level.

“I can only control what I can control, and that’s my pitching,” he said. “I have to let my pitching do the talking.

“We do just have a stockpile in pitching, and we’ve had a lot of scouts at our games. Those are all things that are out of my control.”

Image source: The original article.

No comments: