Friday, June 22, 2007

And a Pitching Coach to Be Named Later

Mazzone, and the O's as a jilted lover
By Matthew Taylor
We don't know if the Orioles will lose Leo Mazzone when his contract expires after the 2008 season, but we do know who the Birds lost in order to acquire Mazzone: current Myrtle Beach Pelicans Pitcher Moises Hernandez.

Hernandez, the older brother of Seattle Mariners Ace Felix Hernandez, currently leads the Carolina League with nine wins. Hernandez (9-2, 3.09 ERA) was
named to the Carolina League All-Star roster this season and pitched in the Carolina League vs. California League All-Star Game on June 19, hurling one inning and allowing two runs on two hits.
The Birds signed Hernandez in 2001. He was sent to the Atlanta Braves as compensation for Pitching Coach Leo Mazzone leaving to join the O's.

Attendance decline continues at Camden Yards;
Fans busy "washing their hair"

Is it just me, or is the Orioles' search for a new manager starting to resemble a bad dating experience?

Joe Girardi and Dusty Baker have both stated in some form that: they're flattered by the team's interest in them; the timing isn't right; and it's just not the right fit.

Girardi: In an interview with The Sun yesterday, Girardi, 42, didn't get into specifics, but said repeatedly that the job just wasn't a good fit for him right now.

"I was flattered that the Orioles called me," said Girardi. "It's a great city, a great organization. I have the utmost respect for Andy. As a coach or a player, I always loved going there [to Baltimore]. I am not going to get into a whole lot, but it just wasn't the right time for my family. I was impressed. But timing-wise, it just wasn't right."

Baker: "To me, the Orioles are a great organization and everything, and my passion is baseball," Baker said. "I want to get back into managing, but only if the right situation comes. Right now, it's a bit early for me. At this point, I would probably say it's not the right fit right now."

Next, Davey Johnson will tell Peter Angelos, "It's not you, it's me."

No comments: